Saturday, July 17, 2010


6 Months ago a 7.0 earthquake hit Haiti. When a 7.0 hits buildings are usually able to withstand the shacking, however, in Haiti, the building codes are not enforced and most people just build their homes out of whatever possible. The earthquake hit at 4:45pm... apparently it was a good time for it to hit as lots of people were between work/school to home and not actually inside their homes. Twice as many people would have been killed if the earthquake had hit at night when everyone was in their homes. No one knows how many people where killed as most people did not have birth certificates and it was nearly impossible to calculate the loss of life. Bodies are still stuck in the rubble.
I had visited Haiti around 8 years ago... I also have spent a good deal of time in poor countries. But I guess I never thought through the devastation that I was going to see as the earthquake was 6 months previously.

This is the "Hospital" where I worked! Its a tent with 6 wings.

The OR

I hit the ground running as I had not slept the entire trip out there and started working the moment I got to the Hospital. 12 hour shifts, 10 days in a row!!! Man it was exhausting and awesome. I got to suture up this kids foot when he cut it on glass.

His sweet brother washed his feet afterward. We gave him a pair of shoes so that it would not get infected. The next day I saw the boys out playing...but he had no shoes on. I am sure his mother sold them to make money for their next meal.

Malaria is very common. Especially now that most people are homeless. Even if a families home did not crumble to the ground, they live in a tent in fear of another earthquake hitting.

This little dude put a bead up his nose. I had to get creative in getting it out as I did not have the same supplies and special equipment. I ended up using a catheter and attaching it to a suction tank.

Still trying to figure out what this little girl had. She had no other symptoms but this localized inflammation of the tongue. The only thing I can figure is that it was a sign anemia and vitamin B deficiency.
Tent City.... not just one but tent city after tent city after tent city. It seemed like an entire country of refugees.

I wanted to take a lot more photos, but some days it was hard to pull out my camera and actually document another persons tragedy. Its taken several days to process all my thoughts. I actually feel like it was all a dream now. I have spent so many years preparing myself to go and do things like I was doing in Haiti. I loved it and hated it there. I will post a few more times about the trip. But for now this is a start.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing these pics and some of your thoughts here Betty. I think its so important for us all to see them and hear your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos and commentary. Maybe it was just a bee sting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Bethany. I'm glad there are people like you out there who have put in the years needed to train to be able to meet some of the needs out there. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete